Thursday, July 26, 2007

What if " Charlie Horses" never occured

The term Charley Horse is commonly used to describe leg/foot cramping and is also known as a "Billy Mule".[citation needed] "This out-of-the-blue leg cramp is as intense as a kick from a palomino. "You'll be lying in bed or even asleep when you get this terrible knot-usually in the calf but sometimes in the thigh or the arch of your foot," says Steven Subotnick, D.P.M., a sports podiatrist.[3] This type of out of the blue Charley Horse can often be caused by mineral deficiencies, or an electrolyte imbalance.[3]

Last night at 0300 a.m. my REM sleep was shattered by what mom always called a "charlie horse" in not one...but both of my calf muscles. Don't you just hate when that happens!!! I talked to my good friend Nadine ( our resident physiotherapist here at the Albert County Health and wellness Centre) . She said "you went for a run last night didn't you"..." when you run in this heat you need to make sure you are well hydrated, and not just with water because you depleted some electrolytes."
I have had the occasional leg cramp but in the last few months I've noticed that when I wake either through the night and especially in the a.m. my legs are always verging on a dreaded cramp. Never have I had dual leg cramping. So let's hear it for gatorade or whatever you need to replace those electrolytes..you know the whole potassium pump thing we learned about in biology.

No comments: