Monday, August 13, 2007

Excuses Excuses!

After our 6th Healthy Lifestyle Club, Doris and I have noticed something...that there are a multitude of excuses for not exercising. As a general rule , it doesn't take much convincing to suggest one isn't eating healthy, yet it takes a lot of persuading to convince people that they need to exercise daily.

We've started taking note of the excuses:

1. I just don't have the time after a long day at work.
2. I can't walk or exercise since I got the arthritis in my knees.
3. The weather has been so bad...I just can't get out. 4. The weather has been so hot.
5. I have a heart condition.
6. I get enough exercise at work.
7. I don't have the time.
8. I'm just getting older and I can't do things like I used to. 9. I've worked hard all my life and now it's time to take it easy!
10 . It's hard for me to get away from the kids.

We have always said that you need to consult your family physician before starting an exercise program...to listen to your body and take it slow BUT some of us give up before even starting. Dr. Ken Mitton, family physician and Ironman competitor offered no sympathy when it came to discussing pain during exercise. He lives with chronic back pain. He told us all that his quality of life would be and has been worse before he started a regular exercise program. " Yes, I have pain " he said, "but my back pain is worse if I don't exercise and besides, I am enjoying life".

For every excuse you have, there will be someone available to disprove it!

I received a phone call on Saturday night. Phyllis Sutherland was excited and inspired by one of her employees. David Chase and his wife works for the Sutherlands at Ponderosa Pines Campground during the summer. David's wife told Phyllis that the Footloose program has created a monster. Her husband David has taken off with the program. David has had heart problems and even has a pacemaker - defibrillator. Since starting footloose, David's competitive nature has started him on a path to overcoming the obstacles that kept him from beginning an exercise program. Apparently David is out-walking and challenging the other employees at Ponderosa Pines.
Lloyd Trites has been an inspiration to me. Lloyd and his wife have experienced huge health obstacles but both of them are out there on the trails. Lloyd told me that for the past several years he thought it would not be good for him to exercise because of his health problems. "I thought it would make everything worse" he said. He told me that he feels "so much better" since he started walking with footloose.

The body is an amazing machine and you will be surprised at it's adaptability when it comes to exercise. For most of us it all comes down to the mental push...and not so much the physical. It's been said that overcoming obstacles is 3 % physical and 97% mental. Change your mind and you can change your exercise habits!

1 comment:

Doris said...

We know all about the excuses because we have used most of them ourselves from time to time! However, I know that I feel so much better when I get off that couch and get moving that it makes it all worthwhile. Like they always say, Use it or Lose it! How true it is.