Saturday, November 24, 2007

Want Another Chance?

So, it's been a week since I bought my Nordic walking poles and they have been taking root in the closet. Between holding down a day job and freelancing at night, free moments have been scarce. But today, in spite of -6 temps and a chill wind, I dug them out and took Caledonia to the marsh trail and dykes in Hillsborough.

As I strode out the trail and along the top of the dykes, I couldn't help but feel tall, straight, strong, confident. The poles do that - they force you to walk tall - to stride purposefully. I completely see why Yennah chose the name Walking Proud for her Nordic Walking group. In spite of the wind, I was warm, breathing deep, fully involved in the rhythm of the motion. So very cool.

And I couldn't help but think this was a no brainer. If my time is of a premium, and I only have 30 minutes a day to walk, why not double the return on the effort by using the poles?

If you missed Yennah Hurley at the Nordic Walking demonstration in Riverside last week, you'll have another chance to talk to her. She will be attending the next Footloose! event on December 4th, 7:00 pm at Caledonia Regional High School in Hillsborough. You won't want to miss the evening anyway, as Sharon Wells will be sharing her success story of lifestyle change.

No comments: