Sunday, November 18, 2007

20 Reasons to Try it

What if you learned about an activity that:
  1. is as enjoyable as walking (or more)
  2. protects knees and other joints
  3. increases lung capacity
  4. improves posture
  5. enhances heart and lung function
  6. strengthens upper body and torso
  7. relieves neck and shoulder pain
  8. builds and tones muscle
  9. eliminates bat wings and love handles
  10. takes the agony out of Albert County's hills
  11. provides the same intensity of running without associated injuries
  12. is equally enjoyable on ice, snow, pavement, gravel or trails
  13. can be done anywhere, anytime
  14. provides stability in the winter
  15. is economical
  16. doesn’t require fancy clothes or equipment
  17. has varying levels of intensity
  18. enhances mood (without drugs or hallucinogens)
  19. has 40-60% more total body workout than walking, and
  20. burns 40% more calories?

Would you try it?

Dozens did at the Nordic Walking demonstration in Riverside-Albert on the weekend. The demo was put on by Yennah Hurley of www.walkingproud.com. She brought along lots of poles so everyone could try them out. And a good number walked away afterward proudly carrying their new Nordic Walking poles, all gung ho and ready to rock the county.

I’m one of them.

I’d first seen Nordic Walking last year, but the demonstration was crowded so I really didn’t have the opportunity to try it. I thought it looked like a great sport for my parents, but well..I was already quite active so really didn't need something else.

Well, I'm a believer now. The poles add intensity to a regular walk. I found my pace was faster, my arms, shoulders and torso were fully involved, hills were easier and I walked straighter. I love cross-country skiing, so it seems natural that I would enjoy the Nordic Walking, which is much the same movement. And I was tickled to discover I could even use the poles when snowshoeing.

It's perfect.

1 comment:

Diane said...

I should dig out my cross country ski poles and give this a try. My problem is that where I live there is no place to walk except through fields of knee-high dried hay. The roads are highways and extremely dangerous. In winter I snowshoe most of the time just to be able to get around with the dogs. But, from the few opportunities I have to cross country ski, I do realize how using the arms can increase the workout -- I'm going to see if I can use the poles out in the fields (without them getting caught on each stroke in the tangled alfalfa). Hmm, this could really be an intense workout!

Walking away,

Diane at Sand to Glass
and Dogs Naturally