Monday, February 25, 2008

What if we sought joy in each day?

The question wasn’t a hard one and most people in the class scribbled quickly on their sheets of paper. We were asked to write down the most joyful event we’d ever witnessed or participated in. I instinctively knew we were expected to share moments that related to relationships. While events surrounding children or loved ones came easily came to mind for others, for me, it was a struggle.

Not that I don’t feel joy with the people in my life, but to nail it down to a particular joyous event stumped me. I adore my husband and we’ve had many intimate moments of joy shared between us, but what came to my mind most quickly were these memories:

Callie-dog running for the sheer exhilaration of the moment after being cooped up in the house all day. Like something possessed, she bounds with unabashed abandon, ears flapping and tail spinning like a whirligig, her open mouth stretched wide in happiness. Each time I see her like this, I feel the release of her joy like it is my own.

A luna moth resting on a bough. I’d never laid eyes on one before and I found myself mesmerized by its fragile perfection. Its softly fuzzed body, long delicate tendrils like streamers and luminescent colouring made my heart pound. I watched until it tired of my presence and flew away. Then I ran home and sketched it quickly, so not to lose the memory.

The morning sun rising over Bryce Canyon, Utah. The beauty of that moment, as the sun flowed onto the sandstone pillars in a soft glowing glaze of colour, took my breath away. In the empty space, feelings of quiet awe flooded in with the realization that the creator of such artistry must indeed be a God of joy.

Standing at the edge of a cliff in Portugal, gazing over the expanse of the Atlantic Ocean. Salt wind in my mouth, churning waves cascading into shore with ferocious strength. Sheer cliffs rolled to my right and to my left, rich in natural untouched beauty. There was joy in the strength and endurance of such a scene, repeated time and time and time again over the millennia.

These are my moments of joy…beauty and abandon, artistry and endurance. I think it’s significant that they are connected more to nature’s gifts than to people.

So many of those who populate our daily lives seem to sap our energy and steal our ability to feel a deep abiding joy. Senseless busyness has stolen the depth in our relationships and robbed us of meaningful connections. Some stumble on, not realizing why they are so sad; others, like me, instinctively seek a quiet joy in other places. But a thought occurred to me. How might I be robbing others by not sharing the joy in my life?

At the end of the class, we were challenged. What if we began to set aside one day a week (or even a month) to consciously seek joy without bounds in our experiences and relationships?

Of course, that's the easy part. The real trick is giving ourselves the freedom to feel it.

3 comments:

Nancy J. Bond said...

This is beautifully penned. Life, day-to-day, can rob us of the joy in life, deadening our spirits. If we allow it. Your post is a poignant reminder to feel the joy in simple things, as it comes.

Alison Dyer said...

thanks for this. ALison

Diane said...

you're obviously well on the road because you're giving it such deep and abiding thought. I commend you for that and for your honesty in what brings you joy. Another excellent and thoughtful post - thank you.

Diane
Alberta Postcards