Monday, December 15, 2008

The Great Blue Beyond

During my last visit to Gwen’s Desideratum website, I was delighted to read her Out of the Blue post, where she was drawing a name for a set of exquisite, handmade aqua blue earrings from those who left a comment.

As I paused to leave a few words, ‘out of the blue’, I found myself typing, ‘Wish now…that I would win…” I stopped short. They were the words of my late grandfather…

“Wish now, Debbie-girl”, he’d always say. I hadn’t thought of that expression for years.

A fragment of memory lit on my mind … a limp ball of patchwork fur cradled in large, calloused farmer’s hands...rough, like a cat’s tongue and cracked with dirt. It was just before Christmas and I was 5 or 6…the limp fur was a barn kitten, barely alive.

“Wish now, Debbie-girl, let’s see what we can do for this little ‘un.” My eyes were wide as marbles. He placed the kitten on a towel on the open oven door of the wood stove. I knelt on the floor in front of the stove, watching and wondering what would happen, my lips silently praying… “oh please, God.”

I watched until my legs cramped and I had to shift positions.

Slowly, small bugs began crawling from the kitten’s ears, nose, eyes…I looked up at my grandfather in wonder…

“Wish now, Debbie-girl, the heat’s drawin’ them out. You just wait now, we’ll see if we can bring’er back.” Big sausage fingers picked at the tiny black bugs and wiped them against his coveralls.

I watched silently. The kitten began to stir. Her eyes opened, just a bit. Then a wee bit more. A paw twitched.

Life returned...out of the blue. My first Christmas miracle.

Wish now.

6 comments:

Diane said...

Deborah, you are a remarkable story teller. You also have a deep and purposeful spirit. Thank you for sharing this joyous memory and Christmas miracle. THIS is what the season is really about.

Beautiful. May you and yours enjoy life's best moments this magical season.

Diane
LIfe's Sweet Ordinary

One Woman's Journey said...

Thank you for your story this early morning. For some reason it brought tears to my eyes. May be because one friend is experiencing deep sadness and another dear friend is in surgery at this moment. Blessings to you.

jfrancis said...

The miracle of life
follows the trail
back___to Eden.

Deborah Carr said...

Diane - thank you for your many kindnesses. This is such a compliment from a woman who has mastered the power of story through image.

One Woman - my mom said it brought a tear to her eye as well. I hope your friends - both of them - find healing.

jfrancis - your poetry always moves me...It seems effortless, and yet powerful. You speak great wisdom with few words.

Doris said...

Wonderful as usual! You sure have a way with words. That is what Christmas is about for sure. A miracle.
Merry Christmas to you and yours this beautiful season

Gwen Buchanan said...

I loved that you left those very special words spoken by your dear grandfather...
... special words drawing us back through the past to an exact spot in time...
This story is a treasure... especially because it's true...

...just imagine the millions of stories we all have stored safely away, just waiting... for their special moment to be relived...