Thursday, December 11, 2008

What if there was magic in light?

Splashes of colour, magical stories narrated with a thousand sparkles of light…great trees tossing sparks into the air… No matter our age, we are drawn to them like mesmerized children…those homes whose owners have taken many hours, tremendous effort, creative imagination and careful planning to create enchanted worlds for the enjoyment of others.

Such is the giving spirit of Christmas…for I’m sure the looking out on such a scene night after night is not nearly as wondrous as the looking in or the unexpected delight of chance discovery.


This home is located on a slow country road not far from my home. At Christmas, I detour by often, just for this gift of light.

Each night as darkness falls, traffic slows, watchful drivers nod and wave patiently at each other as they inch along, passengers twist in their seats to take it all in…then continue on their way…smiling...hearts lighter, all rush and stress forgotten.

Thank you George and Diana, for sharing the magic of Christmas.

5 comments:

Gwen Buchanan said...

The lights are one of my favourite parts of the season...

rivergardenstudio said...

Such beautiful lights for the holidays! I would love to see these...I still need to get into the spirit of Christmas! Roxanne

Deborah Carr said...

I much prefer lights to inflatable characters that sag about during the daytime like puddles of plastic on the lawn.

We drove past a house on the weekend with five or six such 'puddles' and my girlfriend muttered...'What a perfect metaphor for what Christmas has become."

Gwen Buchanan said...

So true!

Nancy J. Bond said...

What a lovely way to thank your neighbours. :) I think of outside lights in much the same way as I do gift wrapping...by themselves, they're gifts -- of time, love, and consideration for others. This was a lovely post, as always.