Sunday, January 18, 2009

The Music of Marsh

The least strain of music lifts me up above all the dust and mire of the universe. I soar or hover with clean skirts over the field of my life...



...It is ever life within life, in concentric spheres. The field wherein I toil or rust at any time is at the same time the field for such different kinds of life.
Henry David Thoreau

I'm slowly finding familiarity with the music of the marsh...if not the orchestrated life it sustains. Here, predator and prey, crossing paths, sharing space, separated by time. How often do we also cross the path of another, out of sync...missed by a single beat?


Such an assortment of tunnels and tracks...what rich community life hides beneath the skirt of snow?

And above? A trio of turkey vultures...so awkward and hulking on land, they glide with silent grace in their element. One spied me...circled ever closer...coasting overhead for a curious glance.
Even in silence, there is harmony.

8 comments:

jfrancis said...

The magic
is in the hearing
of the song
the land sings.

hele said...

What a gift to cross your path and hear the music of the marsh. My heart and mind feels smoothed by each gentle curve.

And it is happiness meeting someone who seems to also fiercely love the land

herhimnbryn said...

Sublime.

Gwen Buchanan said...

Oh he/she is a beauty! There are so many more sightings of Turkey Vultures in the Maritimes now.. Is their territory enlarging? .. they talk about global warming but it seems colder in the winter... evolution? ... or because of growth is there more untimely deaths for them to tidy up...

This life that scurries over, then under the snow to their little somewhat insulated homes and pathways.. secret life...

I love and recognize the question..""How often do we also cross the path of another, out of sync...missed by a single beat?"" if only we knew.... what path then would emerge?...

Thought provoking post.. Thank you...

Nancy J. Bond said...

I hear the music of the marsh through the gift of your words. I do love the way you think. !!

Diane said...

yes, even in silence there is harmony. So true. I love these images. The second from top is exquisite simply for the sheer beauty of it but the one with the footsteps in the snow leading away is ... well there is a story there.

It warms me every time I visit.
Diane
my daily 365 photoblog

The Giraffe Head Tree said...

Exquisite prose and photos.

Deborah Carr said...

To all who commented online and via email, I so appreciate your kind thoughts and offerings...they arrive when I need them the most.

It's a joy when others see what we see, hear what we hear, and feel when we touch with our words.