Friday, February 27, 2009

Thoughts of a winter past...

So much for my snowshoe trail...it looks like Atlantic Canada is in for rain tomorrow...then more snow...we could get up to 50 cm in the coming 4 days. Seems like we are in for some nasty weather...not one big dump, but several days of 'flurries'.

All this snow talk sent me looking through some old photos for this image.

This was my parent's home on February 22, 2003. The snowfall, combined with high winds created this drift. The photo above appeared on the front page of our newspaper.

It took my husband awhile to shovel out the front door.

But eventually, he chopped his way through. He worked for about 8 hours that day.


When he finished, it looked like an igloo. Mom's tulips are under there somewhere...and her peonies, hostas, azaleas...all sleeping soundly...


The next day, they decided it would be best to get the weight off the roof, so my cousin came to help with snow removal. That's him on the roof. All day long, cars cruised by slowly, and people stopped to take pictures. They felt like a winter tourist attraction.

My husband commented that everyone brought a camera, but no one brought a shovel...

Only three weeks earlier, February4-5, 2003, we'd had a monster ice storm that destroyed thousands of hectares of trees, knocking out power for days...


So...now...what's a mere 50 cm? Certainly nothing to whine about....yet....

6 comments:

Gwen Buchanan said...

Now that's one way to insulate a home.... It must have been very quiet inside there...
Deborah, What a lot of snow.. The tunnel to the door makes it feel like a playhouse!!! Your parents must have been shocked when they awoke to this...
Had the house been there very long before this snowstorm?

this is pertaining to your last post... I have been worrying how the deer are surviving this winter.. last year We had them playfully chasing each other in the field here on the 13th of Feb. but no sign of them this year yet... Hope they survive!!

Shelley said...

Hi Deb - looks like the prediction was correct. My driveway is now a 'riverway'. In reference to your article - I recall those pictures. Another one coming they say.

Deborah Carr said...

Hi Gwen...They've been in the house for about 15 yrs and the snow does tend to accumulate in the front because of the roof shape, but never this much.

Diane said...

wow, that was some kind of snowfall! We had something similar but not quite over the roof (2 years ago) though the snow did come up and over our 6 foot chain link fence. I love what your husband said about people coming with cameras but no shovels!

I definitely remember watching all the news reports about the ice storm you guys had. There seem to be more of those these days than in years past.

We too are a very long way from any signs of spring (the past week was in the lower minus 20s during the day and in the minus 30sC overnight -- though it has 'warmed' up considerably and was only around minus 16 today).

Keep warm and cheery,

Diane

Gwen Buchanan said...

A friend told me she remembers seeing the picture in a newspaper.

One Woman's Journey said...

Oh my, what a picture. What an experience. Just dustings in my area and I can hardly imagine having a snowfall like that.
Makes me shiver and I know I could not live in an area like that.
All of you are brave.