Tuesday, March 10, 2009

What if we just have to listen?

I am exploring this idea of place, and how it speaks and textures my writing. When in the presence of beauty, it's as if my heart opens and my words spring forward in flight. Other times, I turn inward and write slowly...deeply. I think I need both.

Landscape has such power to move ... consider how you choose an unmarked route through a forest...how the curves and hollows call and draw you forward...how obstacles cause you to pause and re-consider.


How it awakens our curiosity...we just have to know what lies around the next valley, or over the next rise, or beyond the next hilltop...

Consider how a mighty tree makes you look way, way up…dizzy...


...how a soft moss bed begs us for rest, and a tiny garden of mushrooms can pull us to our knees...



While, an open field causes us to feel joy...breathe deep and run with giddy laughter.

Boulders beg us to climb and warm ourselves on their shoulders…

...and then see how we are drawn to the horizon of a cliff, how the tickle in our belly delights us as we peer over the edge. We have to see what’s below.


We walk the edge of land and sea; we cannot refuse, it bathes our soul.

Landscape calls us out from our walls and freely gives us wisdom and emotion.

What if we just have to listen?

6 comments:

Diane said...

Oh Deborah, you bring me to my knees (metaphorically) so often. What deep and worthy thoughts ... I need to read this over, and over, ... not because you haven't done your job but because there is so much wisdom to embrace.

Gwen Buchanan said...

Wonderful thoughts to consider just from being in and taking in the power of nature... pausing and realizing our responses creates so much more awareness in us and for everything in nature...

smith kaich jones said...

Deborah - Thank you so much for visiting my blog & leaving behind such kind words, which - of course! - brought me here. This post struck such a chord with me - the idea of place - a little differently, but the same idea, I'm thinking. I have come to believe that one should live where one lives, that one should embrace that place, that geography, that history, that architecture. Yes, bring your souvenirs from travels, your memories of other places, but live where you are. Get to know the trees around you, the flowers that grow near. Live where you are. Listen.

Wonderful piece. I'll be back.

:) Debi

hele said...

how absolutely and wonderfully true.

the warming over a boulder. the running through a field. sigh...pure joy...

herhimnbryn said...

Beautiful images and words to wonder at.

Jill Zaheer said...

being in collaboration with me on the project we call life