Friday, August 14, 2009

Finding Space ...



"For words, like nature, half reveal, and half conceal the soul within."
Alfred Lord Tennyson

I've met so many people who say they wish they could write. When I suggest that they give it a try, they just look at me and shake their heads...'But I wouldn't know how to start.' Defeat. I can't sail a boat either, but then again, I've never really tried.

I've written about this in a previous posting. Writing isn't just about being published. It's about believing the stories that live inside you are of value. Whether its through words or art or music, our souls need expression...our stories need a voice.

When I first began writing a decade ago, I didn't know how to start either. But, I finally found the courage to let myself dream of being a writer. And when I made a commitment to take concrete steps toward that dream, somehow, the path opened in front of me.

But I had to take the first steps. I had to show I believed in myself.

Today, I look back on that time of my life and marvel at how, when I gave it the chance, serendipity stepped in and guided me down the most wonderful trail I can imagine. Writing has taken me to places I never would have explored and to people I never would have met. It's led me to a deeper understanding myself and life, allowed me to express and develop my thoughts, given me courage and confidence, helped me notice the exquisite detail of my world.


I believe everyone has a creative side. We need to provide a nurturing space to see what emerges. Do you think a flower can imagine all it will become, while it's still just a seed?

So, this summer, in addition to agonizing over my own book writing project (OK - this is the alter side of creativity!), I've put together a series of creative writing workshops with something for beginners and for seasoned writers.

And where else to hold them than where creation lives and breathes and blooms?

"Nature is the art of God."
Thomas Browne

2 comments:

Crayons said...

I enjoyed reading this insightful post. I go through the same issue with my illustrations. So many people say to me "You should be an illustrator." And that is kind of them, but I'm already an illustrator. It's just that I've not taken the path of publishing.

Anyway, I like the peacefulness of your post. I hope to come to that point.

Deborah Carr said...

And, Crayons, you create such lovely illustrations - I'm so glad you've found your remarkable talent and are using it to tell your stories. I love your style - you tell a tale simply, but with just the right amount of detail. Hard to do!