Sunday, November 15, 2009

I'm still alive...

I'm in the final stages of my book, so have been wrapped entirely in last minute research, interviews, words and editing. I'm spending so many hours on it that I have little left over at the end of the day. My mind works on only one track. It's been quite a year and now is winding to a close. I wobble between excitement and fear, but it's not over yet.


I spoke to a teen journal writing class a few nights ago and talked about how, when Callie-dog was a pup, I held her in my hands, marveling at the tiny scrunched face, soulful eyes, velvet fur. I couldn't imagine how she would look as an adult dog. I wondered how her character would develop. Part of me was anxious to see what she would grow into, but the other part wanted to keep her small and cuddly.


When I started this book, it was much the same thing. I could see its potential - I could envision the faint outline, like a shape in the fog. I knew there was an amazing story to be told...but I was afraid to start because it wasn't entirely clear. I wasn't sure how it would grow and develop. How would I pull the story together? Would it turn out as I imagined? Or would it take on a life of its own?

It has shape-shifted on me...

...but I have shape-shifted, too.

10 comments:

Shelley said...

I am so looking forward to your book. You write so as one 'sees' what you see.

Kimberlee said...

I'm thrilled to see you posting again! Can't wait to hear about the book. Will you post information?

Deborah Carr said...

Thanks Shelley and Kimberlee. Yes, I will be posting some info soon!

The Giraffe Head Tree said...

I was wondering where you were! Thanks for checking back and keeping us all posted. I, too, am interested to hear more about your book. Your Book! What an excitement!

Gwen Buchanan said...

The very, very best to you Deborah in pulling everything together and reaping the fruits of your labors!!!!

The Giraffe Head Tree said...

Just stopping by on Christmas Eve to wish you and yours a very Merry Christmas and a delightful New Year. Thank you for a fabulous year of beautiful photography and amazing prose.

hele said...

your book sounds wonderful - i'm sure nature weaves it tale all through it.

One Woman's Journey said...

I have missed you. Was so pleased to see an entry on my journal from you!! Best wishes to you.

Diane said...

you have always had a talent with words. You can also teach. Two most valuable talents.

Jo said...

Ah shapeshifting...it's good for a person.

I'm just getting acquainted with your blog and it's wonderful. Thank you so much for your comments on mine. I'll be back.