Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Turbulence

When we were in Portugal a few years ago, I cringed whenever I spotted the many crazy fishermen, perched at the edge of the tallest cliffs, their great long fishing rods, bent and drooping to the crashing waves far below. They seemed quite comfortable there, on the edge of danger, but seeing them made my stomach flutter.


"Why do they do that?" I asked.

"It's where the best fish are," I was told. The turbulent, churning water at the base of the cliffs makes for prime feeding ground. So, these fishermen teeter at the edge, risking all for the best fish.

"Do they ever fall?" I asked.

"Sometimes."

I've found in recent weeks that there is some life wisdom in this. If we can manage the fear, the most tense, turbulent parts of our lives are where we find the best opportunities for growth.

But they are also the places where we encounter the highest risk.

So, it's up to us to decide...is the risk worth the gain?

7 comments:

Zhoen said...

Followed you back from herhimnbryn's. This is the most breathtaking site I've ever seen, just lovely. Shall read more soon.

The Crow said...

Hello, again.

You wrote "if we can manage the fear, the most tense, turbulent parts of our lives are where we find the best opportunities for growth."

I've found that to be true, too. Often couldn't see it in the middle of the turmoil, but always there in the calm aftermath.

Relyn said...

I think there is quite a bit of truth in this. Thank you for posting the lesson, the reminder.

One Woman's Journey said...

"if we can manage the fear, the most tense, turbulent parts of our lives are where we find the best opportunities for growth."

How true.....Thank you for reminding me.

The times in my past when I felt like I was hanging on the edge of a cliff - I never fell and was stronger and calmer when the experience was over.

But now at this age - I pray I have no more of these experiences.

ljm said...

this is lovely, Deb. I sent it on to Kathy W. -- Tory was diagnosed with cancer a few weeks ago.

tattytiara said...

Gotta risk falling on your patootie to learn how to walk, right?

Very cool to learn about those fishers.

gg said...

always. you just don't usually see it until you're completely passed it...then, you can appreciate the growth.