Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Going Flat Out?

Work for a writer certainly has an ebb and flow. Most times it's either a dry sea bed or a tidal wave. A colleague told me a story about how busy she had been recently. How every time she talked to this person or that person, she had moaned, "I'm going flat out."

Over and over again, this is what she said.

Then she got a flat tire. Never had one before.

"Right then, I stopped talking about deadlines," she said, straight-faced.

Frankly, so did I. I'm a believer.

I haven't used the 'D' word since.

There is power in a word.

This from Dr. Christiane Northrup:

"Remember: Words are powerful. They matter. The words we choose shape our experience. They create the story we tell ourselves. And the story we tell ourselves becomes our biology. Quite literally, our cells believe the stories we tell ourselves and they respond accordingly. So please. Learn how to monitor your thoughts and words."

What if this week's word was "Relax"?

11 comments:

Zhoen said...

At work I avoid the Q-word.

(uiet)

nursewilltravel said...

Goodness...puts new meaning into saying I feel like I'm at the end of my rope.

Deborah Carr said...

Yikes...grab another line!!

katie said...

what a great reminder, i feel more relaxed after coming here, thank you.

One Woman's Journey said...

I know this - but sure needed a reminder :) Thank you!!

Tabor said...

If words are this powerful I just need to keep my mouth shut.

Shelley said...

One of my favorites 'Never say Never' because you know what will happen. OH MY.

Donald said...

This is my new favorite expression then: I feel like a million dollars today! :)
Indeed, words exude energy and should be used wisely. Wise post. Thank you!
Maryse (using hubby's Google accnt)

Donald said...

I feel like a million dollars today!! Yes! Words have power, use them wisely. Wise post.
Maryse (using hubby's Google account)

deb said...

Lot's to ponder here, words are powerful

Deborah Carr said...

I like this...feel like a million bucks...a golden girl...