Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Hide and Seek

Martin Head...a pebble and sand beach on the bay of giant tides, secluded and tranquil on this day. Worth the rugged journey over rough graveled logging roads and desolate clearcuts.


Fog crawls up the cliffs and drifts just offshore, playing hide and seek with the nub of land - almost, but not quite an island - that gave the beach its name.

A lighthouse once played sentinel on the Head, guiding ships and barges up the Bay of Fundy, signaling the wharf that served a small settlement at this crack in a craggy coast - a settlement where workers chiseled copper and gypsum from the cliffs until there was nothing left. The rounded pebbles at my feet hold hints of these memories, but little else remains to remind of this era. Nature is forgiving and has a way of playing hide and seek with the destruction we cause.

Martin Head is still a busy place...but only in season. On summer weekends, crowds of partygoers run roughshod in ATVs, dirt bikes and Jeeps. People who take of the beauty, then leave their tracks and refuse behind.

Today, in solitude, with only crows and each other for comfort, we explored different parts of the beach - Pat where the cliff meets the sand, me where the sand meets the sea ~


I stood, wondering how we became so disconnected from the world at our feet, the life that breathes in our face. I stood facing the sea, my heart split wide open, turning my back on the ache of last year's tattered tarps, beer cans and box toilets. I stood, reaching for something I could not quite grasp, wishing to leave a piece of myself here...a piece that belonged, that I could come back to.

Bowing my head, a single stone at my feet rocked in the surf.


I was reminded of the words of David Weale, from his book Chasing the Shore. He speaks of finding stones in the sand.

"As I stooped again and again it struck me that there was a stone on that beach to match my every thought and feeling and far from being mute, each was calling out in its own way for communion with the ancient parts of me..."

9 comments:

Zhoen said...

(o)

Shelley said...

Oh wow what a great day today would be for just this sort of exploration. Love the Quote - so true. Missing the ocean. Thank you Deb for sharing today. I hope the day both invigorated and relaxed you.

Shayla said...

Beautiful photos that you took, Deborah and those words about 'each stone on the beach' were touching. It is frustrating and hard to understand when people leave their trash in a place like this.

Gwen Buchanan said...

oh you have offered MY dear Martin Head.. the haunt of my childhood.. they are the same.. full of ache and mystery... an isolated paradise, at that time.. and my father's favourite ocean solace...

...you surely have portrayed it true..... amazing photographs!!!amis

Tabor said...

Lovely peaceful and austere place. One could find plenty of area to contemplate if man made vehicles were banned. That rock looks like a broken heart to me...broken because of what we have done to this beautiful earth.

Relyn said...

Oh, the ocean always gives such gifts. I long to walk along the edge of the water again. Long for it.

Sarah Butland said...

Beautiful - the pictures and the words. You took me there and there I left a piece of me that someday I'll meet and get to know. Thank you.

deb said...

I visited this beautiful post of yours days and days ago, and forgot to comment. I do that... read , leave, ponder...

The east coast is so peaceful and majestic. Your descriptions of it here make me want to go again.

Ingrid said...

Beautiful post - love the quote and feel just the same about there being stones to inspire me every time I give time to search a little.
So glad you dropped by and that it reminded me to do the same.