Monday, July 5, 2010

Introducing...


My heart is too full for words.

So may I simply introduce my grandson, Colin Devin Denis? Born June 28 in Winnipeg, he was named for his infant brother, Devin - our first grandchild -who was born a tiny perfect person, yet without breath or heartbeat, one short year ago - June 6th. His brief appearance sliced our hearts in two. His presence lingers, always.

It was so hard to wait for Colin's arrival. On the surface, cheery, optimistic, hopeful. But underneath, our joy, our anticipation was tainted with worry. Worry for him; for my stepdaughter's health. But suddenly, nine months passed and there he was.

And here we are now. Grandparents. Who will I be? Grammie? Nan? Someone else?

I'm floored. Scared. Awed. Oh I know...there are hordes, stacks, piles and miles of grandparents before me, but I feel like the first. My world changed in an instant.

I'm quite taken with this little man - can't stop looking at photos. My attention wanders from work. I awake in the night thinking of him. His Winnipeg family has held him, smelled him, snuggled him...they know him already, have looked into his eyes...yet we know him only through pictures as we anxiously count days until our trip out west.

The waiting is Unbearable.

5 comments:

Ingrid said...

Congratulations. I hope you can be with Colin soon and enjoy being with a new part of your family.

I can't believe the coincidence as our daughter has given birth to our first grandchild on June 29th in Texas. We arrived when she was 2 days old and it is so wonderful.

deb said...

Congratulations,
he is so so beautiful .

Shelley said...

Oh Deb - CONGRATULATIONS! I am so happy for each of you. I can't wait to see more photos. He is beautiful and a terrific Nan/Gram you will make. I will keep you in my prayers as you enter this new adventure. May God hold you strong as you smile on this little man - let the tears fall freely my dearest.

altadenahiker said...

Oh, many, many congratulations. And how funny, I know so many women that mulled over the name thing. And grandfathers don't seem to care what they're called at all.

Gwen Buchanan said...

This little guy is a beauty.. and even more so with all your love.. Congrats to you all...