Friday, August 6, 2010

Lake Moods & Memories

Just a few days of respite at a friend's secluded camp. That's all it took. No electricity, technology, noise, people, agendas, chores. Just being. And coming to know the lake, its textures and sounds, its creatures and moods. I am contentedly human again.

We sat, quietly, my husband and I...allowing our minds to rest. Conversation was scarce and words seemed almost an intrusion as we wrapped ourselves in the comfortable silence that comes from years of intimacy.

Even Callie-dog, after her initial exuberance and joy of being here subsided, was content to lie quietly and become acquainted with the smells that drifted her way.

Sometimes I swam to the raft with my notebook and let my thoughts float onto the page. Sometimes I dozed, lulled by lake rhythms, my mind light, empty and hollow.

Glorious leisure and silence. I realized how much I had craved this space, this pause in the intense busyness that has become my life. Silence is a gift we rarely give ourselves, something we wish for, yet somehow never find time to pursue.

Sometimes a curtain was lifted, allowing us briefly to see the life and drama that ebbs and flows here, whether we bear witness to it or not.

The large and small of it...

As each day passed, a steady sun arched over the lake, from east to west, and we swam when the mood struck: in the languorous silk of early morning, in the high heat of noon, in the long shadows of eve. We floated, splashed, dove, paddled without purpose, just responding to the nudging of desire.

One afternoon, we watched in awe as a line of great billowing clouds moved across the sky. We waited for the lightning in the distance, silently counting the seconds until the crack of thunder.

And then the storm was upon us with great fervor and noise and urgency, sending blankets of rain rippling and blowing across the surface of the lake like drifts of snow over a frozen surface...and just as suddenly as it came, it moved on...

...leaving a special gift in the quiet aftermath...our own private rainbow.

And with the approach of a glorious clear evening, the stillness enveloped us again.

And we sat, watching the moon rise and the colours shift and slide, merge and mellow, then sink into the cool mauves of evening...and the landscape spoke and the night became a living thing with the hum of insects, the perpetual warble of persistent frogs, the melodies of robins and calls of the waxwings, each one trying to out-sing the other.

Reluctantly, we drifted off to bed, sorry to see the end of day, but comforted in the certainty that morning would bring more light and swellings of the heart, more gemstones to treasure.

And I wondered, in years to come, what I would remember best about these days...how the magic would touch me and coax me, perhaps, to a different choice...or how the memory might sustain me, perhaps through loss or sorrow...or how I might revisit the joy and silence and closeness, again and again.

14 comments:

deb said...

I love the tag.... connection to place.
It sums up the out of sorts feeling I get when these respites from the everyday busy to this peace with creation are lacking.

The photos are stunning. What an incredible location.
No electricity. It's been a long time....

Tabor said...

What an excellent photographic memory of your time in paradise.

Tabor said...

What an excellent photographic memory of your time in paradise.

Tabor said...

What an excellent photographic memory of your time in paradise.

Shelley said...

Peaceful, relaxing, a time to be alone, a time to be a couple. Lovely photos and thoughts. Thank you for sharing your 'time away'.

One Woman's Journey said...

Beautiful images and your words were calming to my spirit. So happy for you that you take this time away from busyness...

Gwen Buchanan said...

Deborah, Your post is sheer refreshment for the body and the soul... it feels like a long deep breath.

gg said...

deborah, reading through this post gave me a moment of peace. your imagery and your words, perfect pairs in describing nature, sounds, silence. what a gift you were given and how wonderful you embraced it. lovely.

Jo said...

These photographs are just glorious!

Carolynn said...

Now that sounds like a little bit of perfection. I love moments like these and have been craving them myself lately. I could feel the peace and contentment come through your words & photos. Truly beautiful. Thank you for sharing.

Relyn said...

These images are astounding. Every one of them like perfect professional images from one of those expensive coffeetable books called By the Water or something.

Deborah Carr said...

Now I'm really blushing. Thank you, all. I'm happy my peace is sharable with you all.

Diane said...

btw, hooray and thanks for changing your settings so I can comment! :)
Oh, what a magnificent journey you shared with us. And the photos tell the story so beautifully. This was a big relaxing sigh.

Amy said...

I love it! It's so important to "unplug" every now and again ... vital to the soul ...