Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Just sit there and look pretty...

grabbutton




Debi  at Emma Tree challenged her blogger friends to come up with their interpretation of ‘Just sit there and look pretty’…

So....here are my first thoughts:  Little girls, hair ribbons, clean frilly dresses, white anklets and black patent leather shoes. 

The perfect little girl..she is feminine, docile, quiet and polite. Demure. Shhhh…children should be seen and not heard….

But, wait. I never wanted to be demure. Demure doesn’t look like fun. I wanted to climb trees, pick up caterpillars, play in the mud. Make people laugh.

“Pretty is as pretty does,” I remember my grandmother saying, reminding me that behaviour speaks louder than appearance.

In remembrance of Nana (who, as a young mum, climbed an apple tree to rescue a bear cub), I’d rather have fun.


Second thoughts:  Let's just sit there and look pretty…pretty damn satisfied. 

 There, that’s better…me and my new book, hot off the press. Now grinny face is better than demure any day of the week.

16 comments:

Amy said...

I love it! And Congrats on the new book ... so exciting!!

mrs mediocrity said...

I agree, grinny face is always better. Love your interpretation of the phrase, and congrats on your book...

AphotoAday said...

Wonderful post -- but thinking back, all the little girls I knew weren't so well behaved. I never got beat up by one, but they certainly knew how to put me in my place (((far, far away from them))).

A new book, huh? Congratulations. Gotta find out more.

skye said...

That grinny face is sitting pretty indeed! Congratulations on the book!

Jaime said...

I love this!

I was always after caterpillars too.

Great interpretation.

Amy said...

This is such fun--I enjoy the contrast, and without a doubt, your version is better. =)

Sally G. said...

Demure - isn't she the one married to Ashton Kutchner?

I conjured a similar image in my head (the anklets, etc.)too at first.

I just read the information you provided about Sanctuary ~ how wonderful it must feel to ensure an important story is shared. We all deserve Sanctuary, really. Congratulations!

kate i said...

Wow, congratulations! There's nothing like happiness and joy to light up a face and that's what pretty is all about.

One Woman's Journey said...

The picture - seems like me - many years ago. In that generation I was always told "children are to be seen and not heard". Not so with my children and grandchildren :)
Congratulations on this new book.
I am excited for you. Love your smiling face!!

Jan said...

Wow, imagine a time when "just sit there and look pretty" was actually relevant...

Pseudo said...

I love your profile bio and say yes.

Great post on pretty and now I need to snoop around to see your book ; -)

Christina said...

exactly!!

a book? how wonderful! congrats to you sweetie.
: )

Tabor said...

You clearly are as wise as your old granny! Congrats!!

Gwen Buchanan said...

Hi Deborah, I just listened to your wonderful interview with Paul Castle on CBC. So glad I caught it... Your new book is going to do great!!! Cheers!

Deborah Carr said...

Thanks Gwen. So far, I've been truly amazed that people are emailing, sending letters and calling to say how much they are enjoying it. I'm surprised how eager people are to get the book and immediately begin reading it. It is very humbling and moving.

Anonymous said...

In the late eighteen hundreds and early nineteen hundreds boys wore dresses, sometime up until age 12 and had curls and ribbons in their hair (not the girls) and Mary Jane style shoes. That picture could be of a boy! Today's society cannot even fathom that idea!