Sunday, December 19, 2010

Sudden Sisters

We didn't dance in puddles (they were frozen). But we outran the snow flurries...clambered up embankments, stepped gingerly through debris washed in by a storm, faced the wind, wallowed in mud...does all that count?  And we talked. The words bubbled up between us like two antacids in a glass...so much that...

DebOne and DebToo (me) at Mary's Point
...neither of us noticed it at first...this resemblance between DebOne and DebToo.   As we toured my home ground - the beaches and bluffs - it felt like we were playing catchup on 40+ years of separation.  How does that happen with someone you've never met before?

 

I guess, though, when you find a blog that draws you back, time and time again, you can rest fairly certain that you will get along fine with the author of that blog.  And certainly, I had enjoyed Deb's blog often. Her thoughtful words, astute observations, poetic phrases, stunning photos....(for Deb's photos taken this day - and the amazing sunset sundog, see her blog.)


Then, when someone asked if we were sisters, we took a closer look. Do ya' think?


But then, even before Deb arrived, I knew that we would have no problem making conversation or getting along with one another. These are things you just know



It's that knowing that convinces me that we are all part of a previously designed story, each woven in with the other in an intricate way...and that someday, when we flip to the other side, we will see a pattern beyond our wildest dreams and imagination.

I do not wish to treat friendships daintily, 
but with the roughest courage.
When they are real, they are not glass threads or frost-work, 
but the solidest thing we know.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

7 comments:

Abraham Lincoln said...

Your meeting is like dancing on sunshine. I think it is wonderful that two souls out of maybe a trillion have met where you met and what's the chances of both liking each other?

Amazing post. Gifting writing. Great photos.

Deborah Carr said...

You're exactly right, Abe...I like that...dancing on sunshine. We were, too!

Kathy Mercure said...

Lovely Deborah. I have a friend that I met when I was 17 who I knew from the moment we started talking that we would be friends for life. And we are still today.

Tabor said...

I once met a blogger and we had much to talk about. It was like we were old friends...we weren't alike...but we were two pieces of a puzzle and fit together nicely.

deb said...

Sudden sisters . I like that Deb.
I am still in shock a little I think.

You were so giving and gracious and sweet and inspiring. I am forever blessed , I am.

I can 't wait to return to Albert County and explore more.

I can't wait to see where our dancing on sunshine takes us.

Have a peace filled holiday season. You deserve everything good that comes your way and more.

love to you ,

deb

Carolynn said...

What a blast! I love meeting blog buddies in the flesh. So exciting. Deb is one of my favourite bloggers too. So glad to hear you got to spend some time together.

Blessings to you & your family this holiday season.

Carolynn

Carolynn said...

Forgot to mention - I love the quote. I'm swiping it. *smile*